Virtual Private Network
Virtual Private Network (VPN) access allows remote users to connect over the Internet using an encrypted link. The VPN creates a secure connection to work with files and other network resources as if they are local. Businesses are improving their productivity and efficiency using this technology by allowing staff to work from anywhere.
There are numerous ways to provide VPN access to the company network. Atomik.biz can plan and implement a VPN solution to work with your existing infrastructure.
Remote control software
Many businesses are using third-party solutions like LogMeIn or GoToMyPC, to gain access to their remote computer.
There are several issues with these products
- You usually have to pay a subscription for these solutions.
- You are accessing your data through a third party which you have to trust with your data.
- Access to the computer is effectively controlled by whoever installed the software and set the password.
- As the PC initiates the connection, the local firewall would not usually block it.
- If people with remote access leave each machine needs access removed
- The business owner often won’t know remote access is in place.
- If the business is aware of the use of these products, they have to manage the service
A VPN solution solves many of these problems.
- VPN access does not require a monthly fee
- The administrator controls access rather than the user, which ensures compliance with company policy
- When staff leave access is simple to remove
- Access is controlled centrally at the firewall
The VPN software is builtin to most common operating systems, including all Microsoft and Apple Mac operating systems, including smartphones.
Although the third party solutions are probably secure from a technical aspect, they introduce vulnerabilities to the business network as well as another monthly cost. The reason they are are so popular is people don’t realise there is a free and more secure alternative.
To plan and implement Virtual Private Networks (VPN)
Telephone: 01525 540041 or 020 33271747